Friday, September 17, 2010

What is Danish Design?


For my Danish Design class, we visited several design-related places on Wednesday. First, with some classmates, I looked at the Danish Museum of Art and Design where we supposed to explore 'My Precious', Margit Brandt's fashion exhibition, and 'Utopia and Reality'. Definitely going back there sometime, it's fun to see all the famous pieces we talked about in class and really be able to appreciate them! Arne Jacobsen's chairs for example are "very Danish" and the new "Nobody Chair" (made entirely of recycled materials).

In the afternoon, the whole classs met up to basically go window shopping together! On the main pedestrian shopping street in København, Strøget, there are three connected shops that we saw : Illums Bolighus, Royal Copenhagen and Georg Jensen. There's no way I can afford anything in the last two shops, but everything is gorgeous to look at! We were lucky enough to watch a Royal Copenhagen artist demonstrate painting the porcelain. Before the pieces are done, 30 people touch each plate, bowl, mug, etc. A 30cm plate in the "Mega" line is about 800kr...about $140 for one plate!!!

Enjoy the picture above! Once again, I couldn't limit myself so I had to do a slideshow. Be sure to read the captions (it's easier once you click out of the ad).


No comments:

Post a Comment