Sunday, September 12, 2010

Last Weekend in Sweden


This will have to be a quick post, because I am falling behind on my blog already! I just put up the slideshow about my trip to Sweden last weekend, and now I'm finally getting around to writing about it.

This was a "weekend adventure trip" I signed up for through DIS, and they took us canoeing, hiking, orienteering and rappelling in southern Sweden! We were mostly on and around the Kullaberg Peninsula, where there is a natural reserve. It was absolutely beautiful there, and we were lucky to have a sunny and fairly warm weekend. You can see a little more about the area here and also about the Nimis driftwood sculptures, shown in the slideshow.

Quickly, about the sculptures. A Swedish sculptor, Lars Vilks, has been making these towers and mazes for 27 years-and he's still not done. As they were built on a natural reserve, the government sued him in order to have them taken down. Instead, this area of the beach is now the free and independent micronation of Ladonia! There are 13,000 citizens and many were able to become nobility by paying $12 for a title.

No comments:

Post a Comment