Friday, October 29, 2010

Min Danske Fødselsdag




My Danish Birthday was very memorable! I woke up at 6:30am for my early class on Monday Morning, October 18, and by the time I was ready to go upstairs and eat breakfast, Nina, Brian, Stine, Lasse and even Lasse's friend who'd spent the night, were all awake around a beautiful breakfast table. As soon as I got upstairs they started singing the Danish birthday song...I was just amazed, and so happy! And this was on the first day of vacation for everyone, but they still got up and ate breakfast with me while it was still dark out, so that I could experience a traditional Danish birthday breakfast.


When I got home from class, Nina and Stine immediately took me in the car for a surprise trip. We ended up at the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, and spent a really nice afternoon wandering through the galleries together. We had a really good time trying to "interpret" the modern, abstract art...it was really funny :-). In this picture, Stine and I are enjoying the cafe with a view of the strait between Denmark and Sweden. I tried some delicious "kage" and "varm chocolade".

For dinner we used the really cool grill you put in the middle of the table and cook as you eat...I can't ever seem to remember the right name for it, but I had this type of meal once before at the Destoops house in France. It's so much fun, and a great social way to enjoy and cook and meal. Then for dessert my host family made me the traditional "lagkage" which means layer cake. They make theirs with raspberries and blackberries, it was very "lækker"!

No comments:

Post a Comment