Monday, December 13, 2010

One Last Adventure: Budapest

Stine and I took a weekend trip to Budapest, Hungary this past weekend. I had just finished my classes, exams and papers for my DIS classes, and that evening we jetted off on Malev Airlines. I was amazed that this cheap airlines that still serves free meals, drinks, and even free wine on a 2 hour flight!

After getting into the airport, we found a taxi driver with my name on a sign, and hopped in. Unfortunately, it turned out he didn't know English and he didn't even know what hotel we were staying it, which was a bit discomforting as the hotel booked the ride for us! But we got there OK, and for a very cheap price.
I was lucky to meet up with Alex Howard on Saturday morning, an old friend from summer camp. She took Stine and I to breakfast and shopping at the huge Christmas market. The market was fantastic, with rows and rows of little shops. Everything had to be handmade and authenticated, but it was still very inexpensive. There was so much pretty jewelry, ceramics, candles, food...everything! Needless to say, I spent a lot of Hungarian Forint.
Hungarian food was really nice to try. We sampled goulash soup right away for lunch the first day. The cookies, "chimney" cake, potato pancakes and chicken dishes were all delicious too. And the hot wine and hot chocolate!

After a busy day of shopping, Stine and I retreated to one of the famous Turkish baths. We got half hour massages and a nice, but limited, time bathing outside in the hot baths. It was so pretty, the snow was falling, lots of steam coming off the water, and a beautiful old building surrounding the courtyard. The whole evening didn't go so smoothly though, we got lost, went to the lockers too late, made the towel-return lady mad, and finally had to get a security guard to unlock the door and let us out. That's the short version anyway.
Sunday was our sight-seeing day, and a rainy day. We walked across the Danube and to the "Buda" side of Budapest. We saw the castle, Fisherman's Bastion, and lots of old beautiful buildings we didn't know anything about! Across the river we could see the huge, gothic building for parliament.

It was a wonderful, but short weekend. I'm glad to be back in Copenhagen for my last week in Denmark. Since I have no class, I'm spending my time shopping, sight-seeing, and finally celebrating a little Christmas on Saturday night. My host family will show me all the Danish Jul traditions, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment