Sunday, August 29, 2010

København





I've now been living in Denmark for a week! My classes started on Thursday, and they are all downtown. Copenhagen, the capital, has a population of about 1,180,000 people and is the largest in Denmark. I ride the bus in from Søborg, about a 25 minute ride. It's fun to watch all the commuters riding into the city on their bikes...something like 1/3 of Danish people go to school or work on a bicycle. Once I'm a little more comfortable getting around the city, I hope to join them! So far, I've seen several of the main sights in the center of the city, including the Royal Palace, Strøget (the pedestrian shopping street, it means "the sweep"), the Royal Library, and the City Hall. DIS held our welcoming ceremony in the city hall, where the mayor spoke and we were served Danish Pancakes. Apparently, it's quite the privelege!

The photos are from our orientation "scavenger hunt" around Copenhagen. The building with the Danish Flag (the Danish Flag is the oldest state flag in the world!) is one of the four palace buildings. They are all identical and they are the winter residences of Queen Margrethe II, her Prince Consort, and the Crown Prince and his wife (who is expecting twins). The other photo is a square near there, I have no idea what it's called. I'm with other DIS students from my orientation group.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post and great pictures! The flag has something in the middle of it that is not normally a part of the Danish flag. Does it have something to do with the fact that it is flying over the royal palace?

    ReplyDelete